Keeping Your Flowers Fresh
Here are a few simple tricks to help ensure you can enjoy your Valentine’s Day flowers for as long as possible. I personally follow these at home and had an arrangement for five weeks once.
- Place your flowers out of direct sunlight. Avoid windowsills and other areas where flowers can wilt due to overheating.
- Remove dead or wilting leaves or stems from the arrangement.
- Give your flowers fresh water and a fresh cut every other day.
- After carefully removing the flowers, rinse the vase thoroughly with water. If the water has been cloudy, rinse with soapy water to remove any bacteria that could cause the fresh flowers to deteriorate even quicker.
- For best results, cut stems with a sharp knife at an angle about one to two inches from the bottom. This allows them to better absorb water. Do not use scissors to cut your flowers because they can crush the stems and prevent water absorption.
- Adding flower food to the water every time also helps extend the life of your flowers. We always have this available at Regent Floral & Mercantile.